KMFA Classical 89.5 serves a wide variety of listeners by presenting a wide range of classical music in a friendly, informative manner. The station serves the audience with programming that reflects the local community as well as the national classical music environment.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Music Director is responsible for programming the station’s locally hosted music selections, using appropriate software and accepted best practices under the guidance of the Program Director, and for meeting publication deadlines for station communications regarding music programming. The Music Director should also be a comfortable and conversational on-air host.
1. Program KMFA’s locally hosted and online music selections, currently using Music Master scheduling software with careful editing and oversight of daily schedule.
2. Provide music listings and related content for KMFA publications, including website and e-newsletters.
3. Maintain KMFA’s music database, overseeing data entry and correction, and coordinate with production manager in managing KMFA’s digital (ENCO) music library. Manage volunteers and/or interns who assist with these tasks.
4. Consult with Program Director to determine best programming practices and adjust programming software to implement them.
5. On-air host.
6. Maintain relationships with record labels.
7. Acquire new music (CD’s, downloads) as needed for library and station staff.
8. Respond to listener inquiries regarding music selections.
9. On-air fundraising as needed.
10. Voice work and promo production as needed.
11. Represent the station at events and concerts, including appearances as emcee.
12. Makes decisions on urgent scheduling or programming changes in the absence of the Program Director.
1. Knowledge of classical music that is both broad and deep, including an affinity for and knowledge of the music of our time as well as that of historical periods
2. Strong writing and communication skills
3. Demonstrated organizational and deadline ability
4. Ability to work both independently and with a team
5. Bachelor’s degree in music, communications or related field, or an equivalent combination of work and educational experience
1. At least 3 years as a classical music programmer
2. At least 3 years as an on-air host or voice talent
3. Familiarity with automation and music scheduling software
4. Experience with scheduling music for specialized streams
Compensation and Benefits
Salary mid-40s, plus a comprehensive benefits plan including fully paid employee medical and dental insurance, 403(B) contribution plan, vacation, sick/personal leave and holidays.
For best consideration, apply by 5:00 pm Friday, March 21, 2014.
No phone calls.Email resume, cover letter, sample playlist, 3-5 minute telescoped aircheck, brief writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include mention of how you learned about this job opening.
Or mail materials to:
Music Director Position
KMFA Classical 89.5
3001 N. Lamar Blvd., Suite 100
Austin, TX 78705
About Classical 89.5, KMFA: Classical 89.5 KMFA, Austin’s all-classical public radio station, was founded in 1967 by a group of citizens who saw the need for a radio station devoted to cultural programming in the Central Texas Area. Today the station remains committed to this heritage. Relying on the majority of its funding from direct listener and business contributions, KMFA serves approximately 100,000 listeners each week and features both local programming and nationally distributed programming from Public Radio International, American Public Media and National Public Radio.
KMFA-FM is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status, or sexual orientation.
KMFA offers non-paid internships and volunteer opportunities. For more information, feel free to contact us at email@example.com