Was Henry Purcell born on September 10, 1659? No one can be sure. But we're just looking for an excuse to celebrate his life and music here on Ancient Voices! Enjoy an hour's worth of instrumental music, including Ayres for the Theatre, keyboard works, and more!
All music composed by Henry Purcell (1659-1695)
- Symphony from 'Hail, Bright Cecilia!' (1692). Performed by the Gabrieli Players.
- Three Parts upon a Ground, and Suite in G. Performed by London Baroque. Curtain Tune from 'Timon of Athens' performed by the English Concert.
- Trumpet tune from 'The Indian Queen' and Trumpet tune called 'Cibell', Ground in c minor. Performed by John Butt, organ.
- March in C major, A new Scotch Tune, A new Ground in e minor. Performed by John Gibbons, harpsichord.
- Incidental music from 'King Arthur' and 'Dioclesian'. Performed by Tafelmusik.