Carnegie Hall Live
Produced by WQXR and Carnegie Hall, and syndicated by the WFMT Radio Network, Carnegie Hall Live features some of the world’s greatest performers and ensembles in a wide range of styles, from early music to solo recitals to orchestral performances. Carnegie Hall Live is hosted by WQXR’s Jeff Spurgeon and co-hosted by other arts and media personalities.
January 21, 2018:
Simón Bolivar Symphony Orchestra; Gustavo Dudamel, conductor
- Ravel - La Valse
- Stravinsky - Rite of Spring
- Brahms - Hungarian Dance No. 5
- Copland - Hoe Down from Rodeo
- Strauss - Trisch-Trasch Polka
- Ginastera - Malambo
- Bernstein - Mambo
- Marquez - Danzon No. 1
- Bach - Violin Concerto in E Major; Academia Bizantina
- Brahms - Symphony No. 2 excerpt; Berlin Philharmonic
January 28, 2018:
- Schubert - Winterreisse; Ian Bostridge, tendor; Thomas Ades, piano
- Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 1 in D Minor - Rondo; Vienna Philharmonic; Rudolf Buchbinder, piano
- Mozart - String Quintet in E-flat Major; Brentano String Quartet; Hsin-Yun Huang, viola
February 4, 2018:
Berlin Philharmoniker; Sir Simon Rattle, conductor
- Schoenberg - Five Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 16
- Ebern - Six Piece for Orchestra
- Berg - Three Pieces for Orchestra, Op. 6
- Brahms - Symphony No. 2
- Ravel - La Valse; Simón Bolivar Symphony Orchestra
Jeff Spurgeon has been the morning host of WQXR since 2006. He joined WQXR in 1997 and during his 30-year career in radio, Spurgeon has been an announcer, reporter, newscaster, interviewer and producer. In addition to hosting Around Broadway each Wednesday with Charles Isherwood of the New York Times, Spurgeon hosts remote broadcasts in New York City and internationally.
His New York radio career began when he joined Mix 105’s Morning Team in 1989. Spurgeon also taught and developed a course in broadcast journalism at Townsend Harris High School at Queens College in Flushing. Outside the station he has been a member of an a cappella quartet with a wide-ranging repertoire, and he continues to sing and play the piano for his own pleasure, though seldom for anyone else. Originally from western Nebraska, Spurgeon now lives in Brooklyn with his wife Judy.
Sunday, 7 pm - 9 pm
Host Jeff Spurgeon | Photo Credit: Marco Antonio via WQXR.