Explore the music of a composer who has had an extraordinary and unprecedented impact upon the musical and intellectual music of his times. Glass first gained national attention in 1982 with his hypnotic music to the film Koyaanisqatsi, but since then his compositions have ranged from five operas, twelve symphonies, three piano concertos, soundtracks to a number of films, and many more.
We will focus on the music of his opera Akhnaten, about the Egyptian pharaoh of the same name. The Metropolitan Opera will be broadcasting a live performance of Akhnaten on Saturday, November 23, at the Arbor Cinema on Great Hills Trail. We will attend this showing as an optional class event.
- Date: October 24 - November 21, 2019 (Thursdays)
- Time: 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (5 classes)
- Venue: Thompson Conference Center
- Website: https://informal.utexas.edu/classes/philip-glasss-akhenaten
- Cost: $95 (plus $7 for handouts)
- Phone: 512-471-2900
- Name: Curtis Davis
Curtis Davis is a musician who has taught at the Armstrong Community Music School and Texas Union Informal Classes. He has a Doctorate in Music Composition from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Address: 2405 Robert Dedman Drive
- City: Austin
- State: TX
- Zip: 78712