KMFA LISTEN LOCAL PRESENTS
AUSTIN CHAMBER MUSIC CENTER
8TH ANNUAL COLTMAN COMPETITION
Named after Austin Chamber Music Center founder, Felicity Coltman, the Coltman Chamber Music Competition provides performance experience and expert commentary to advanced chamber ensembles along with cash prizes and performance opportunities.
Each year KMFA Classical 89.5, a proud sponsor of this prestigious competition, records the finalists for a broadcast special to air later in the year. The ongoing circumstances surrounding the pandemic pushed the final showdown online for a virtual presentation once again this past March. As such, KMFA invited some of the finalists to record selections in the Draylen Mason Music Studio. The result is the Coltman 8th Annual Competition Broadcast Special aired originally on Sunday, January 2 at 6:00 p.m. on KMFA.
The following chamber ensembles participated in these special recording sessions.
2021 Junior Division Finalists:
- AUN Quartet, High School string quartet from Plano, Texas (Virtual Showdown's Junior Division Blackerby Violin Shop People's Choice Winner)
- GHS Quartet, High School saxophone quartet from Georgetown, Texas
- JDR Quartet, High School string quartet from Plano, Texas
2021 Senior Division Mixed Instrumental Finalists:
- Kodan Quintet, woodwind quintet from Houston, Texas
- Quintessence, woodwind quintet from Austin, Texas
2021 Senior Division String & Piano Finalists:
- Agathon Quartet, string quartet from Houston, Texas
- Trio En, piano trio from Austin, Texas
CLICK HERE for the complete list of 2021 Virtual Showdown finalists.
CLICK HERE for the complete list of 2021 Virtual Showdown People's Choice winners.
The 9th Annual Coltman Competition will be held in-person at The University of Texas at Austin Butler School of Music on March 26 & 27, 2022. Competition staff reserve the right to cancel or amend any or all of the 2022 competition.
Online submissions open Wednesday, January 12, 2022.
CLICK HERE for more submission deadlines and elegibility requirements & regulations.