Director of Broadcasting & Content
KMFA 89.5, Austin’s all-classical, listener-supported radio station, will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2017. KMFA has the distinction of being one of the few independently licensed, all-classical stations in the country. Bucking a trend toward syndication in Texas classical radio, KMFA offers a full 22 hours every weekday of local curated and produced content, supplemented with national programming along with live hosting on weekends. Austin is one of the fastest-growing cities in America and is recognized for the diversity of musical offerings. KMFA is committed to helping Austin’s classical music community thrive. A “Listen Local” series of live and recorded concert broadcasts showcases the extraordinarily rich array of classical music presenters in Austin. A new branding campaign has been designed to increase audience through building awareness. A facility task force is exploring options to relocate the station from its leased office space to a larger venue that will allow for more community gathering and cultivation. KMFA is recognized as an adventurous station whose programming embraces the full continuum of classical music, from historic masterworks to the evolving sounds of newer classical selections. Because its programming is locally curated in and for Austin, it seeks to reflect Austin’s creative spirit and eclectic tastes.
As a member of the senior leadership team, the Director of Broadcasting and Content (DBC) will have the opportunity to shape an exceptional user experience on-air, online, and in person. The DBC will be actively involved in KMFA’s year-long 50th birthday celebration and in advancing the goals of its 2015 strategic plan.
The DBC should be able to think creatively about the future of radio both on-air and in the digital sphere. He or she should be an excellent communicator and supportive manager who enjoys a collaborative work style. The successful candidate will have outstanding organizational and management skills, and an interest in leading innovation in classical radio programming.
Essential Job Functions
- Reinforce KMFA’s new brand by tying on-air content to external brand messaging;
- Oversee current programming and develop new content, both on-air and online, to fulfill strategic objectives;
- Supervise broadcast and program staff;
- Work closely with public relations and marketing to develop web content and effective promotions for all programs;
- Plan and produce live events (studio concerts, visiting musicians, guest speakers, etc.) to augment on-air programming and deepen community engagement;
- Establish and build relationships with community arts partners as they pertain to content creation;
- Work closely with development and underwriting to ensure success of on-air fundraising;
- Create annual programming budget;
- Insure compliance with FCC, CPB and music licensing requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- A minimum of five years radio programming experience and at least three years of management experience required
- Strong on-air skills and experience with on-air fundraising
- Proven ability to develop and produce content on-air, online and in person
- High degree of computer and technology literacy
- Familiarity and competency with music programming software, preferably MusicMaster
- Knowledge of radio research tools and public radio programming
- Extensive knowledge of classical music
- Knowledge of FCC and CPB regulations
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership abilities
Compensation is competitive according to experience. KMFA offers fully paid employee health coverage, vacation and pension benefits. KMFA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls. Please email cover letter, resume, salary expectation, and three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or mail to:
Director of Broadcasting & Content
Classical 89.5, KMFA 3001 N Lamar Blvd, Ste. 100 Austin, TX 78705
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
KMFA Classical 89.5 is a non-profit listener-supported classical music station of Central Texas. Our mission is to uplift, entertain and educate Central Texans by providing the best in classical music and cultural programming.
KMFA-FM is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, Vietnam era or special disabled veteran’s status, or sexual orientation.
KMFA offers non-paid internships and volunteer opportunities. For more information, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.