Music in the Alps
with KMFA's new CEO
August 21 - 31, 2024
Join KMFA’s new CEO George Preston and fellow KMFA listeners for a spectacular, musical extravaganza this summer in the Swiss Alps!
Four fine orchestras, among the best in the world, will perform at two major European festivals. Revel in the luxurious sounds of the mighty Berlin Philharmonic — “the Rolls Royce of orchestras,” the Concertgebouw of Amsterdam, the Budapest Festival Orchestra, the Gstaad Festival Orchestra and the amazing 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic. Highlights include the appearance of Jonas Kaufmann, the preeminent tenor in the world today, in a concert performance of the 2nd act of Wagner’s Tristan and Isolde, and the great pianist Sir Andras Schiff playing Beethoven’s 4th Piano Concerto.
The tour takes place amid the splendor of mountains, lakes and wonderful old Swiss towns. Enjoy deluxe accommodations in both cities, fine dining, boat rides on gorgeous Lake Lucerne, the commentary of George Preston, and plenty of free time for additional sightseeing, shopping or just relaxing. We will have a private visit and piano recital at Richard Wagner’s house, Tribschen; take a cog railway to the top of Mt. Rigi overlooking Lucerne; a stop in Bern, the historic Swiss capital; and many other sidelights to Festival concerts.
The tour begins in the mountains above the resort town of Gstaad. Inspired by the magnificent natural setting of the Saanenland, the legendary violinist Yehudi Menuhin founded the festival that bears his name in 1957. The Lucerne Festival, one of the best in the world, takes place in a pretty town on one end of the gorgeous eponymous lake, ringed with stunning mountain peaks.
- Prime tickets to 6 concerts by some of the best orchestras and artists in the world at two major European Festivals
- Four-star accommodations
- Private tour and recital at Tribschen
- Fine dining across the countryside
- Excursions to the region around Gruyères, Mt. Rigi and more
- Free time for additional sightseeing, shopping, or relaxing
- A small group of KMFA listeners and supporters
NOT INCLUDED: Flights to and from Zurich, travel insurance, and any items not listed in the “Included Highlights” section above. See Trip Facts below for more details.
10 days/9 nights
$7,985 per person, ground only, double occupancy
$1,050 single supplement
August 22, your classical journey begins in Zurich
August 31, your journey concludes after breakfast
- August 23: The Menuhin Festival | Gstaad Festival Orchestra led by Sir Mark Elder
- August 24: The Menuhin Festival | Budapest Festival Orchestra under music director Ivan Fischer
- August 27: 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic | Works by Mendelssohn, Fauré, Poulenc and others
- August 28: The Berlin Philharmonic | Works by Bruckner | Conducted by music director Kirill Petrenko
- August 30: Concertgebouw Orchestra | Music by Weber, Fauré, Ravel and Beethoven’s wonderful 4th Piano Concerto | Featuring pianist Sir András Schiff as soloist
(Left: Andre Schiff; Right: Jonas Kaufmann)
Reservations are open. To inquire about the waiting list, please contact The Grand Tour at 800-727-2995 / firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional questions, contact Ann Dooley at 512-615-6903 / email@example.com
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR TRAVEL PARTNER: