The season of Advent is traditionally a time of waiting and preparation for the Christmas holiday. This episode of Early Music Now showcases some of the glorious music that was composed for this time of hope, by composers like Dufay, Senfl, Bach, and Charpentier. Our performers include Musica Fiata, the Choir of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, and Les Arts Florissants.
- Matthias Weckmann: Gegrüsset seist du, Holdselige. Performed by Bremer Barock Consort, led by Manfred Cordes.
- Loyset Compere: Ave Maria. Performed by Orlando Consort.
- Guillaume Dufay: Conditor alme siderum. Performed by Pomerium.
- J.S. Bach: Chorale ‘Nun komm der Heiden Heiland’. Performed by Ton Koopman, organ.
- Michael Praetorius: Nun Komm der Heiden Heiland. Performed by La Capella Ducale, led by Musica Fiata.
- Dieterich Buxtehude: Magnificat noni toni. Performed by Bine Bryndorf, organ.
- Andreas Hammerschmidt: Meine Seele Gott erhebt. Performed by Gli Scarlattisti.
- Marc-Antoine Charpentier: O Antiphons for Advent. Performed by Les Arts Florissants.
- Michel Corrette: Symphonie de Noel No. 2. Performed by La Fantasia.