Whether you call it a passacaglia, chaconne, or ground, the technique of virtuosic writing over a repeated theme in the bass seems to bring out the best in a composer! We'll hear favorites by Buxtehude, Bertali, Falconieri, and more!
- Andrea Falconieri: Ciaconna. Performed by Capella de la Torre.
- Tarquinio Merula: Ciacona. Performed by Ensemble Badinerie.
- Maurizio Cazzati: Passacaglio. Performed by Ensemble Badinerie.
- Henry Purcell: Three Parts upon a Ground. Performed by Hesperion XXI.
- Henry Purcell: Mark how readily each pliant string. Performed by Anna Prohaska, soprano & Arcangelo.
- Henry Purcell: Curtain Tune from ‘Timon of Athens’. Performed by Arcangelo.
- Dieterich Buxtehude: Passacaglia in D minor. Performed by Harald Vogel.
- Girolamo Frescobaldi: 2 Passacaglias. Performed by Ingrid Matthews, violin & Byron Schenkman, harpsichord.
- Samuel Capricornus: Ciaconna in D major for violin and viola da gamba. Performed by Ensemble Echo du Danube.
- Giovanni Felice Sances: Lament on the Passacaglia. Performed by Maura Pederzoli, soprano & Sergio Vartolo, harpsichord.
- Robert de Visee: Chaconne des Harlequins de Mr. Lully. Performed by Nigel North, lute.