Today's program gives us a taste of what an Epiphany mass might have sounded like at St. Thomas, Leipzig during Bach's tenure there. We'll hear selections from a mass, cantatas, and organ works by Bach, performed by the Gabrieli Consort and Players, directed by Paul McCreesh.
- Johann Sebastian Bach
- Prelude 'Puer natus in Bethlehem', performed by James Johnstone. Introit hymn 'Puer natus in Bethlehem',
- From 'Missa Brevis in F': Kyrie eleison, Chorus: Gloria in excelsis deo.
- Prelude 'Christum wir sollen loben schon'. Performed by James O'Donnell.
- From Cantata 'Sie werden aus Saba alle kommen': Chorale, Aria, Chorale.
- Prelude 'Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele', performed by James Johnstone.
- From Cantata 'Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele': Chorale, aria.
- Postlude: Fantasia in G major, BWV 572. Performed by James O'Donnell at the Silbermann organ in Freiburg.
- All tracks come from 'Bach Epiphany Mass' featuring the Gabrieli Consort and Players, directed by Paul McCreesh. DG 457631
View show archive